So, I went to Uganda during our spring break and two things completely blew me away: Ugandans speak English and the everything was half price. Forget the cultural immersion I'm usually looking for when I travel to another country, hanging out in a city with a movie theatre, Mexican restaurant, and signs that I can read was my idea of heaven. More salsa with my chips? Yes please.
I didn't realize how utterly exhausted I was from the past four months until Rachael and I boarded the bus for Kampala, Uganda's capital city. We watched the beautiful Rwandan countryside flatten out, and reaching the checkpoint, we left the bus to get our passports stamped and walk across the Ugandan boarder. Rachael and I looked at each other; although all we did was physically cross a bridge, it felt more like we had crossed into another world. Here was a new country without the tremendous responsibilities we were leaving behind for a few days. We were ecstatic.
Although we had planned take a number of "cultural excursions" out of Kampala, the idea was quickly scrapped when we reached the city. We needed some time to relax, to do whatever we wanted to with our time. We needed to shop.
The prices of everything in Rwanda is comparable to the United States: Coke is a dollar, pasta is two dollars, going out to dinner, if you do it right, is about five dollars. The prices of everything in Uganda was half to a quarter of that: Coke is 25 cents, a nice dinner out was about three dollars, and if you bargained, everything could be less. We couldn't believe it.
I spent my first term in Rwanda trying my best to live like my students. I didn't buy any cooking utensils. I kept my room simple, with only the things I brought with me. I didn't decorate except with some pictures my best friend was kind enough to give me for Christmas (thank you Sara!) I didn't go out to dinner. I didn't buy shampoo when I was running out and instead used bar soap. I didn't travel often, and I didn't treat myself to anything more than Coca-cola (which explains why I'm intimately acquainted with the price of Coke here, there, and everywhere!) And in all of this, I thought I was doing my job. I'm here to teach, to be a part of the community. I'm not here to live like I fortunately do in the United States. I have so much. I can do without it.
What I thought I was doing by denying myself many of these things I'm so used to, was fully experiencing my time in Rwanda. In some sort of twisted logic, I felt like I was giving of myself even more if I didn't give in to the material things. What I realized in Kampala was that I was actually just making myself miserable. Living without a radio, just because a radio cost 10 dollars, meant I had no connection with the outside world when I wasn't able to reach the internet. Living without a hot plate and pan meant that I was completely dependent on the people I live with to provide my food, and meant that I had no control over what I ate or when (or, as you'll see when I finally post pictures, how much I ate! Let's just say I've gained some weight...) It was in this twisted logic that I felt guilty asking for things from home and have told many of you that I didn't need care packages (which I'll be writing about shortly!).
While there are many things one can live without, I realized with our time in Kampala that taking care of myself is a integral part of the job I came here to do. The less stress I have at home when I return to my little room, the less stress I carry into the classroom. The more time I spend taking care of myself daily, the more time I can spend doing extra things for my students and colleagues more efficiently.
When I returned to school Monday, it felt like a new life. In Kampala, I bit the bullet and purchased a hot plate, cooking utensils, a radio, two baskets, new washcloths, and various things to clean my apartment. I stole two magazines from a restaurant and put up pictures on the wall. I disinfected the walls of my room (it's the rainy season, so mold grows pretty regularly...) and I lay down on my bed, listening to BBC. It was heaven.
Surrounded by things that make my life easier, I realized, may be a little selfish. It certainly is a little materialistic - to think these things make me happier. But I'm ok with it. Because I certainly cannot take care of anyone else, if I'm not taking care of myself as well.
Much love, take care, and buy yourself a Coke today. :)
Jen
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment